Herefordshire’s historic buildings

Highlights of just a small number of buildings we hope you will visit when enjoying this fine county.

Hereford Cathedral

Herefordshire has many great buildings, starting with the cathedral. This magnificent building is also the home of the Mappa Mundi and the Chained Library.

Visit the Hereford Cathedral website for more information.

The Old House

The Old House in the centre of Hereford is one of the best examples of a black and white half-timbered Jacobean building in England. It is now a museum presenting life in Jacobean times.

Go to the Visit Herefordshire website for more information.

The Old House in High Town, built in 1621.
The Old House in High Town, built in 1621. The building was once part of Butchers Row but is now the only one left standing.

Eastnor Castle

Nestled at the foot of the Malvern Hills just outside Ledbury, Eastnor Castle is an award-winning visitor attraction. It is surrounded by a beautiful deer park, arboretum and lake.

Visit the Eastnor Castle website for more information.

Berrington Hall

The National Trust which owns this house describes it as ‘Georgian grandeur on a human scale; neoclassical mansion by Henry Holland set in “Capability” Brown’s final landscape and gardens’. It does not disappoint and should be high on any visitor’s list.

Go to the National Trust website for more information.

The Market House Ledbury

Market towns have always played an important role in Herefordshire and no more so than Ledbury. Markets were vital for the mainly agricultural community in the county, both from a trading and socialising perspective.

The building of the Market House started in 1617. Its design was to allow small shops between the pillars on the ground floor and for transactions to be concluded on the first floor as well as a venue for council meetings. This is very typical of the type of building popular in many market towns. Ledbury should be on every visitor’s list.

Visit the Ledbury Town Council website for more information.

Hereford Cathedral
Hereford Cathedral